Remember when I said how much I missed my Fridays and my thrifting days with my dad. This morning, I especially missed it. Nothing like driving
into work and seeing all the estate sale signs going up and knowing you cannot
stop or you will be late. Sigh (with sadness). So I spend the next few hours at
work wondering how I can make it to those sales in my 1 hour break. Yet,
somehow I managed. Today I was able to go to two sales, load up my car with my
finds (of course I found stuff!!) and even hit the paint store to pick up some
more Annie Sloan paint before they closed for the day. Wow!! My armpits were
sweating (not to be too gross) when I ran to my chair with 5 minutes left to my
break. I was starving because I did forego my lunch to do all of the above but I
know that when I would get home tonight I would be ecstatic that I skipped
lunch, ran around like a crazy person (probably drove that way too) and got all
my new treasures. After all, I’m a sucker for mirrors so I couldn't pass up the
sale that specifically stated “antique mirrors”. And just as my luck would have
it when I was leaving the paint store I just happened to come across a tag
sale. Looked like junk sitting out on the front lawn but then an old mantle on
top of a ‘90s Corvette caught my eye. See my dad’s favorite car is the Vette
and it was like a sign that he was with me and showing me the prize in the pool
of junk. I asked the lady what she wanted for it and she said make an offer. So
I initially too excited to think thought and said out loud accidentally “would
you take $50?”. Then my head snapped back and kicked myself for going so high.
I hadn't even examined it yet and her reply with “definitely” was just way too quick.
So I sat back and said “let me take a look”. I looked it over, some of the wood
was messed up and needed some TLC and it was definitely worth at least $50 but I
knew with her response that she would have taken less. A lot less. So I backed
away and played the game. Said how my husband would kill me for buying this (which
just might happen) and that we don’t even have a fireplace (which we don’t, but
I saw other purposes for it) and headed towards my car. So much so that I got
in it and was about to drive off when I thought to myself: okay, I know we don’t
have a fireplace and we might never have one but it’s something about the ledge that you like. So what could you do with it, Stace? Make it a headboard.
Hand on a big wall as a shelf. Plenty of great potential so why walk away from something
you absolutely love when you know the price is just too good and you could
probably get it for much less than the price you initially offered.
Some of the mirrors I got. And no, I did not pay those prices :)
So, I got out of my car, went back down the long driveway
and asked her “how about $30?”. She played the game right back. Said she had to
text her fiancé as it was his mantle. Which was funny because she had just told
me how it was her grandmother’s and in her gram’s house since she was a child.
Ha! Guess we were both playing the game.
But the end result was she took my $30 offer. Helped me load it in my
car (not so easy as I already had other finds in it) and proceeded back to my
office. Hopefully, I won’t get in too much trouble tonight when I ask my dear
husband to take it out of my car. I promise to post pictures once he does. Happy Friday!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)