Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thrifting


Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, flea market, garage sale, or a shop of a charitable organization, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a low price.”-Wikipedia

Thrifting….this is how I spent my weekend and absolutely loved it.


Saturday morning I woke up early and went to see my aunt. I wanted to drop off some more pillow cases for my little cousin Mason who is currently battling stage IV neuroblastoma at Dana Farber’s  (a place very near and dear to my heart) Children's Hospital. Mason is one of my favorite little people and I hate seeming him this sick and have been struggling emotionally with the fact that I couldn't find a way to help him and his parents more. I came to the conclusion last week that I can just continue to make him pillow cases until he came home from Boston. Figured a new clean pillow case is about all I can give him while he is in Boston having his transplant. Two weeks ago I sent him a dinosaur one to match his room here in CT but this week I sent him a CARS pillowcase, a Thomas the Train pillow case and a springy green one for his mom (who is one of the bravest women I ever met) to lay her head on next to her baby. Mason turned two yesterday and I think back on the day he was born and how much joy he has brought into our lives since then. 


After my visit with my aunt I headed over to the Flea Market at the local Greek church by my house. I scored big time! Got this mirror and the 2 wall shelves for a total of……. $7!!! 




I picture this mirror painted white. Maybe in a little girl’s room or painted silver in my entryway of my house…not sure what the final outcome will be but for $5 I see a lot of potential in it. The shelves I’ll likely just refurbish and sell. Definitely for more than the $2 I paid for the pair.

I left the flea market and headed to Julianna's 3rd and Dylan's 5th combined birthday party. Jules is the daughter of my best friend Jill and Dylan is Jill's nephew.  Jill planned a CARS theme party for the kids.  Not having children of my own it’s sometimes hard for me to think out of the box to decorations for a kids party but Jill didn't have this problem at all. Mother of 2, expecting her third made the cutest birthday cakes for her daughter Julianna and her nephew Dylan. They had matching cakes racing cakes. I told Jill she should start a cake business. I’d pay for one of her cakes. Didn't she do an amazing job on these!?!?




(The Happy Birthday banners came from Etsy)





I left the kids party and drove about 45 minutes to an estate sale. I found a secretary hutch/dresser and the cutest little stool/seat. Of course, even though I own an SUV I do not have one thing on my side. I’m strong but not strong enough to carry the hutch out by myself and lift into my car. 




Dilemma….pass on a great item or call the hubby and see if he can meet me to get it home. Option 2. Called the hubby. Only thing was he was at the driving range so that meant I’d be going back on Sunday. Sunday worked out perfectly. I called my dad who lives one town over from where the sale was taking place and asked if he wanted to come with us to the sale. When I was in my twenties and on a different career path I had Fridays off and my dad and I used to go thrifting every Friday morning together. Something I have missed a lot so this worked out well. We picked dad up around noon and headed over to the sale. Got my hutch and also found a small table while I was there and picked that up too! I was craving a hot dog and my dad suggested we stop off at this little place on a lake. Great call dad! I had the Mike’s dog. It was a ¼ pound hot dog with coleslaw, chili and mustard on a semi-toasted bun. Absolutely amazing and the view from the place we stopped at was just as great. 



(This little burger shack overlooked Lake Zoar. We sat outside and ate our dogs.)

Dropped my dad and Tom off at my dad’s house and headed to a sale on my own. This time I was smart and took my hubby’s truck. Didn't find anything for me but did find something my brother-in-law has been looking for. I collect Dept. 56 houses and have since before I was a pre-teen. This is something that my husband and brother-in-law picked up from me this year. Tom collects the Halloween Village and Mike, my B-I-L, collects Christmas in the City (for anyone who knows what I am talking about). Mike has been looking for the Empire State Building piece. Online you can get it on Ebay, but we are talking hundreds of dollars. Now, I found it at this tag sale. It lights up but was missing some of the flags and the box but for the price ($15) who cares. It will look great in his display this Christmas and I can’t wait to see it!! Totally worth the 45 minute drive.



Spent $65 this weekend and got more than my monies worth. So excited to go thrifting next weekend!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)

Follow me on Pinterest