Thursday, May 2, 2013

Last Sunday


Last Sunday I went to my dad’s. My step mom had a table that she wanted to be orange.  I had the perfect color. Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint in Barcelona Orange.

When she called about it she said the table was already painted white. What she didn’t say was it was painted and streaked and had drip marks and needed a lot of prep work. Not what I’m used to.

Before: Notice the bad paint job

For me, I usually buy pieces that haven’t been painted so I don’t have to do a lot of prep work especially when I use the chalk paints I love. No sanding is required. But immediately when I started to clean this piece I knew I was in trouble. The paint on it began to come off and I knew I couldn’t paint over it without seeing two tones of color. One the chalk paint against the wood. One the chalk paint on top of the white paint. So here came the sanding. Enter dremel, palm sander, sanding paper and four hours of work. The spindles being the worst. Luckily for me it became a group effort. My dad stepped up to the plate and lended a hand.

My dad and I sanding away

The piece still isn’t done. It’s in the final waxing stages but I know that it will turn out great because not only did we put a lot of work into it but a lot of love. Even though I was exhausted and hurting on Monday morning it was a great day. One I got to share with my parents and I treasured every minute of it.

Somewhat there: Sanding almost completed. 

Stay tuned for finished pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)

Follow me on Pinterest