Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Easy vintage lamp transformation

Awhile ago I changed up our living room desk. Since it's a focal point when you walk in the room I wanted it to appear less like a desk and more like a table. This week I added a new lamp to the "table" to brighten up the room. 


I picked up this antique lamp for $5 at my local thrift store. It was missing a shade but the lamp itself had a lot of character and beautiful cherubs on it. 


 I was initially planning to paint it but then when I went on EBay it was selling for over $100 so I was afraid to mess with its value (even though I know as long as I’m keeping it the value doesn’t matter). We had a small desk lamp but now that I have re-worked the room and our desk I felt I needed something a little taller and brighter to liven up the back wall of our living room (the wall that the desk sits at). We already had an coral jar that I had gotten at Target awhile ago with some faux ranunculus flowers in it so I thought a coral lamp shade would tie in nicely. I found this shade on Target’s clearance rack.

  
It’s part of their Threshold Collection. My favorite collection to shop in their store! It has coral, yellow and grey in it. It looks like linen even though it isn’t. The linen look pairs well with my other shades in the living room on my blue glass lamps which are linen. The coral in the shade works off the jar and the grey plays off the lingerie chest I recently painted. I removed the two piece harp off the lamp and put the new shade on it. 

(In case you were wondering what this piece was.)

At first I thought I would need a final and had ordered one but with this new shade it wasn’t needed so I just tucked it away for my next project. I now like the look of the desk a lot better but I’m still toying with the idea of painting the lamp. The cherubs would look great in white with some silver gilding wax. 

---
I'd love to hear what you think. Paint the lamp or leave it alone? 

3 comments:

Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)

Follow me on Pinterest