Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gift Basket 101

My husband says I have a knack for making gift baskets for people. I’d like to think I do. Every since I was a child I always loved gathering things and making baskets for my aunts and uncles at Christmas time. I recall one time making a Martini basket for my uncle that was such a hit!

We went to a benefit for my little cousin Mason last week. Initially I was planning to bring one of my pieces of furniture but after talking to the amazing hostess who arranged the benefit she said alcohol is always the biggest seller. Therefore I made a sangria basket. What’s better this time of year then some sparkling wine with fruit in it? Tom and I love to travel to Montauk. Something we hadn’t done in a few years but just because we can’t go to our favorite winery out there doesn’t mean that I don’t have them send me our favorite wines throughout the year. Since Mason is very special to me I wanted someone who was there to support him and his family to enjoy the wines that Tom & I love and made a basket with some crackers and a cheese spreader and the wines.


Another basket I recently made is for my sister-in-law Veronica and her husband Scott. They started moving into their new house this weekend. I wanted to get them something that they both could enjoy. Scott is not a big drinker…unlike V who loves wine as much as I do. But recently we turned Scott onto Angry Orchard’s hard cider. So I incorporated that with a bottle of wine into their basket. Added some pastas and some sauces and a slate cheese board with cheese knives with a cookbook. Just some items to use in their new home while in their kitchen together.


When I buy special gifts or put together special gifts I always have one rule I try to stick with. Something needs to be a keepsake. Something that years from now someone will hold it and remember where it came from. The cheese board might not make it years from now but I’m hoping the cookbook will always stick around so I wrote in it. This way when they look back on this move 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now…they can remember themselves eating the pasta, drinking the wine and relaxing in their new home.

---
Notice anything different?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)

Follow me on Pinterest