The last few months Tom and I have been running ourselves
ragged. Seems like every weekend there is something to do and when we aren’t
doing something we’ve been trying to help out our sisters who both just bought
houses recently. (I will be posting about their homes in the future. Both are doing some major renovations and we are excited to see what the outcomes will be for them.) Not that I’m complaining because we love helping them (we really do!) and like
to keep busy but when I looked at our calendar I quickly realized that we had
no time set aside for us. No time for us to just get in the car and take a
drive together or even time for just me. I have been trying to create that time
this past month. I even posted about it here. Seems like we are always going
and never taking a minute to stop and relax. It’s halfway through August and I realized
I had 6 vacation days left and was holding on to them like it was my last can
of soup in the Great Depression. I questioned myself as to why I was doing
this. Why was I saving 6 days and not using any. I know I wanted to request the
day after Christmas off but what did I plan to do with the other 5?? In my mind
I think I was worried about the “what if’s”. What if I got sick and needed to
take some time off? What if my sister goes into labor and wants me to be there
with her? What if we sell our condo and need to move? I’m saving 5 days for “what
if’s”!! And then as I contemplated taking this past Thursday off my boss says
to me that I should take some time off and that everyone needs a break from
work. I think about what he is saying and somewhat process it but still not
over the “what if’s”. I say yes and that I will take the day off but still I’m
very unsettled about my decision. Then I got a letter in the mail at my job. I
received an award in my company last month. It’s called the Commitment to
Excellence Award. My boss is the one who nominated me for this award. I had
read before the things he had written about me but what I didn’t know was what I
read was a summary of what he written. When I received the letter from my company enclosed was a copy of his letter
to my company about me. A piece in the letter reiterated what he had been
telling me and what I was having a hard time hearing. Take some time off! The
line that sticks out in parenthesis in his letter reiterated everything I knew and had been
told. He wrote “Needs to take more time off!” When I think back on my life I guess
this is something I’ve always struggled with. Whether it was school, or work or
at home I have a sense of anxiety. An anxiety that comes from being still and
feeling like I haven’t accomplished anything. I don’t know how to stop working.
(This is probably why I get chronic migraines because I don’t know how to stop
thinking and just relax.) I try at times but I like working, I like the
challenge, I like doing things, so my life has been this way for as long as I can
remember. The last job I had prior to this one I took a week off once.
That week was spent painting my condo and moving in. My husband knows this
about me but in fact it’s kind of a trait we share. We don’t know how to not
work. When’s he not in the office, he’s home tinkering on a car or creating a fix to fixing
something. This is just who we are. But we did it anyways. We
took this past Thursday off. We didn’t lie in bed till noon like most couples
might have. Instead we were up at 8, showered by 9 and on the road before 10.
(Very late start for us but where we were going didn’t open until 10 and it was
only a few miles away.) We took a day off from our 9-5 jobs (in my case 8-4) but
not from my second job. Tom and I spent the day antiquing. We headed to
Planfield, CT the night before and hit up Putnam, CT the next day. Putnam at
one point was known as the antiquing capital of the world. Now they have two
shops but those two shops took us hours to ravage through. We had a great day.
We checked out from the outside world and did what I love most. Look for
projects for me to work on. So even though I wasn’t working behind my desk I was
working. My little squirrel (as Tom refers to my brain) was on its wheel
running a marathon as I walked through the shops. Now my “what if’s” weren't
about my vacation time but more about “what if” I took this piece and did this?
Taking the day to not follow a clock and just do what we I love was probably
the best use of my vacation day. I still felt accomplished by the end of the
day and I didn’t feel like I wasted one of my “what if” days. Here are some
shots we took along the way.
---
Can you figure out what my next project or redo might be?


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)