It’s a wedding weekend for us. My
hubby’s co-worker, Amy, is getting
married and we are heading to New Rochelle, NY for the big day tomorrow. All
week I have thought about the weather and hoped for the happy couple’s sake
that it would be sunny and beautiful on Saturday. This weather lately (depressing as it is….raining
almost every second of the day almost every day since June began) has me
thinking about our own wedding. We had an outdoor wedding on a vineyard in Duchess
County, NY. A car ride that is almost 2 hours away from our house. We got
married on September 10, 2011 (aka…9/10/11. Don’t you just love that date? So
did we…that’s why we picked it.) Just 10
days after Hurricane Irene rolled through town. We got hit pretty bad where we
live. Luckily for hubby and I, we faired the storm but many of our family and
friends weren’t so fortunate. And as I heard all the stories from our families
of their houses being flooded, trees across their yards, generators that weren’t
working to keep the power on….I began to panic. My bridesmaids were all in
distress; 3 out of 4 without power. My parents had trees down in their yard and
no power or a time frame in which they would get it back by. (And to think we
almost had their house be the venue at one point.) And then I thought do we
even still have a venue? Has the caterer lost power? Is the winery destroyed? Knowing that we
would be married near the pond at the winery I wondered if it was flooded like
my dad’s pond was. No one called. I couldn’t get in touch with the caterers or
the winery. I was freaking out not knowing what would occur. And then finally I
heard from everyone all at once. My flowers had arrived, the winery grass was
bright green, the caterer never lost power. We were safe. And little by little
so was our family and friends. The power had come back on. Everyone would be
able to make it. Things were looking up. I can’t help but think someone was
watching out for us.
(Picture taken by Ashley Therese Photography)
Our perfect day. The grass was green, the pond was blue and the sun was shinning.
So now, when I hear that rain is
in the forecast for the weekend I always feel for brides that are getting
married and hope that the rain doesn’t appear. 9/10/11 was the best day we
could have asked for. To think that for 2 weeks prior it rained almost every
day and we got a perfect day for an outdoor wedding. Amy’s wedding isn’t
outside but even still I hope that she and her husband get their perfect day
tomorrow. Rain Rain go away…come back after wedding day!
The cake I made us the day after the storm. Not my best work, but maybe it did the trick ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)