I must say this winter hasn't been as awful as some in the past, but we sure did have some snow. So much so that last month we were locked inside for four days. We got about 30" where we live and having to depend on whatever snow removal service our condo board picks (which Tom is on) doesn't help. Snow started here early Friday morning and the plows didn't "save" us until Monday evening (I mean this wholeheartedly, one bedroom condo in a snow storm isn't fun). And to have to drive home on Monday night in another blizzard from my sewing class which is 15 miles from our home wasn’t fun either…snow snow go away!
Plows coming down the street on my way home Monday night. Depressing!
Hopefully, the groundhog was right and not only will today start spring but also mean no more bad weather. I know it's certainly spring in Casa de Zarrelli. As soon as that big snowfall came last month I had enough and went to our storage and got out all the Easter decorations. Couldn't wait to put them up wishing that spring would arrive sooner. Who doesn't love spring??? I know I do!! It's probably my favorite season. See my favorite colors are pale greens, yellow and of course blue (Tom says I decorate a lot with blue, trying to break myself out of that) and I find spring/summer clothes to be the prettiest and easiest. Throw on a strapy sundress with some fun shoes, accessorize and walk out the door. So much better than trying to figure out what I can wear that will be warm enough at work if the heat isn't working and yet lightweight in case they crank it. And let's not forget all the pretty flowers that bloom in the spring. Especially tulips (my sister's favorite). Tulips are an inexpensive flower that come in multiple colors and can dress up any table. You can make it look casual such as the ones I purchased this week for our brunch by putting some pop color tulips in an old white pitcher and letting them fall over or you can dress them up for a more formal dinner party. Try white tulips in a crystal vase or a silver mint Juliet cup.
So bright and pretty
Ignore the table cloth I didn't have time to iron :)
As for the brunch, the party went off as a success. Well at least I think everyone was satisfied. We had bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries, cinnamon buns, spinach/mushroom quiche (recipe below), and all sorts of bakery items. Served mimosa’s and OJ and had cupcakes for dessert to celebrate my hubby’s 37th birthday. Wow, he is getting old. Good thing he married young!
Here’s a picture my sister took of the table to send to her hubby who couldn’t join us…cruel, right?
Quiche Recipe
(This can be made day before and served cold, at room temperature or reheated the morning of your brunch.)
Ingredients:
1 pie frozen pie crust (you can make it yourself if you have time. Betty Crocker has a simple recipe)
1 package or container of baby spinach
½ package of mushroom (cut into small pieces)
½ pint of heavy cream
5 large eggs
2-½ tsp salt
2- ½ tsp black pepper
2 T. butter
1 ½ cups of shredded cheese (I used a mixed package of Cabot)
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Sauté butter, spinach and mushrooms together. Add 1 of the ½ tsp. of salt and 1 of the ½ tsp. of black pepper. Let cool.
- Fill pie crust with mixture.
- Beat together eggs and heavy cream. Add remaining salt and pepper. Add cheese.
- Pour over filling evenly dispersed covering to the top of the crust.
- Bake at for about 45 minutes depending on oven variations. Check with a toothpick.
ENJOY!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)