Friday, February 7, 2014

White Wax Mirror

I decided to post something because I’ve been so busy at work and didn’t want everyone to think I’ve been asleep at the wheel. It’s the opposite. For the past month I’ve been painting every weekend. Working on project after project and almost too busy to stop and take a minute to relax. My one flaw that I’ll admit is that when I’m caught up in my work I zone everything out including the fact that I should be photographing more of the work I am doing. Luckily for me my sister has stepped in and become my photographer on the “set”. I apologize in advance because the next few photos you will see were taken quickly on my IPhone and are not the best quality.  She told me to wait and post and we would upload all the photos she’s been taking but I’m so excited about this piece that I just got to show it to you now.


Here’s a mirror that my sister discovered for me. I actually have 2 of them. Identical. It was in a dark brown wood finish. No actually finish was on it. Just the wood was dark and old and lacking moisture and lust. Since Jill’s been my helper be lately and found these mirrors for me I asked her what color she would like to see it in. She said grey. I had some Paris Grey left over from another piece I did and figured there would be enough for both mirrors. What I didn’t expect was that because this mirror was so old and so dry it was going to need……….5 coats of paint!! I know!! Took an entire day to get this piece done but I did it. Started at 11am and was done by 5pm. Since the wood was dry a lot of the paint absorbed in and it still left some spots that needed to be filled. To get it to have a more satin finish I applied two coats of clear wax and then finished off with my favorite wax. Miss Mustard Seed’s white wax. I should own stock in this because it’s just my favorite thing to use. It gives a piece a patina look. 

What color do you think I should paint the other mirror in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile. Leave me one. I would love to hear from you ;)

Follow me on Pinterest